Thursday, January 7, 2010

Home for the Holidays

Happy New Year to all! Here is hoping you had a fantastic holiday season and a great start to 2010! After more than two weeks hiatus including a visit home, New Years with my college friends, and return to my community in El Salvador, I sure have a lot to update you on. So, put on your reading glasses, this is going to be a long one…

Home for the Holidays

I cannot begin to express how absolutely, to borrow the favorite adjective of my Grammy D, wonderful my ten-day visit home truly was. Of course I enjoyed the traditions, the food (my pants are still a little snug), and amenities (namely toilets and hot showers), but most meaningful of all was getting the opportunity to share these times (expect those in the bathroom, those are cherished private times) with my beloved family and friends. In such a short period of time, I had the opportunity to see so many people; it really was the best Christmas gift I could have asked for.

My visit home began late in the evening on Wednesday, December 23rd when I arrived at the Buffalo airport to a full-blown welcoming committee. Of course my parents, Dan and Rose, along with my sister, Dana, were there as expected, but much to my surprise, the self-proclaimed Three Wise (Wo)men (Janet, Marsha, and Robin), Aunt Debbie, and Darcie were there as well. As soon as I turned the corner to the exit, I caught sight of this motley crew and started crying immediately. Never before had I gone nearly six months without seeing any member of my family, and the emotions of it all just poured out through my eyeballs. We hugged, we cried, we laughed, and we took pictures. Boy, did we ever take pictures. Be sure to check them out on Facebook, they’re pretty good. And finally, to top it all off, Santa Claus showed up along with the Lancaster Show Choir to sing carols. Granted, none of this was planned exclusively for me, but it really was the icing on the cake.

In the car, before we were even able to get out of the airport parking lot, I began to indulge on cutout cookies, marshmallow wreathes, and peanut butter buckeyes. Dana did a great job covering my baking duties this year, Mom was an ace cookie froster as usual, and Dad did an excellent job placing the cinnamon red hots on the wreathes. Haha. Truly a team effort this year.

On the way home, we stopped to see my Grammy who, as some of you know, underwent a bit of a health scare over the summer and throughout the past few months. At first sight of each other, there were more tears and more hugs. Right then is when I realized not only how lucky I was to be able to travel home for the holidays (thanks, Mom and Dad), but also how important it is to spend these cherished times with loved ones. Aunt Lynn, Uncle Randy and the dogs joined our visit, and it was great to see them, too. We’ve been doing a great job keeping in touch, but seeing them in person took the cake. We sat around catching up until I barely could keep my eyes open any longer (I had been awake since 3:30AM).

Once home at 459, of course I had to eat the homemade turkey dinner Mom had prepared for me and have a Sam Adams Winter Lager with Dad all while chatting and getting the holiday rundown. Sufficiently gorged and beyond exhausted, I made my way upstairs to my room, changed into some serious winter PJs (the cold was rather shocking to my system; it was 80˙ when I left El Salvador) and snuggled into my cozy bed with Panda.

Now I’m realizing if I detail all my days home like I did my arrival, this will be the blog that never ends (think of the Sherry Lewis song from Lambchop’s Play Along). So, instead I will just list the highlights with the best details.

Christmas Eve

Before I came home for vacation, I was G-Chatting with one of my good friends about how I thought I was going to feel like a guest in my own (parents’) house, not being left any baked goods to make or allowed to help prepare the holiday meals. But, much to my pleasant surprise, Mom and Dana left me the Mushroom and Barely Soup, that we have been having since Aunt Trish first made it 14 years ago, to make for our traditional Polish meatless Christmas Eve dinner. Grant it the recipe is simple, but it made me feel involved and useful. Later in the afternoon, I also was charged with preparing the salmon and tziki. Two recipes are not exactly my usual holiday workload, but I still got to help out and feel (somewhat) useful.

In addition to my kitchen duties, Rosie Baby treated Dana and myself to pedicures. We both have notoriously gross feet. Too much running in Dana’s case and my excuse is that I live in the campo. I think we were the only people in Western New York having cosmetic procedures done on our feet only to be then draped in wool socks and shoved carelessly into Uggs. Regardless, we enjoyed ourselves and had great conversation, mostly catching me up on political developments including health care reform and environmental policy. Yes, we are nerds.

Christmas Eve dinner at home with Mom, Dad, Dana, Grammy, Peter and Ruth was exactly as it has been year after year: absolutely perfect. Upon returning from 4:30 mass (standing room only, children’s choir) we began the eating, drinking and merriment. The soup was as good as ever, the salmon perfectly cooked, the hand-made pierogis (from the Ukrainian ladies, we don’t make them ourselves) crisped to perfection were all the flavors I had been craving for weeks. Then, to wash it all down with a lovely sauvignon blanc and some cheesecake Rosie made (Grammary’s recipe, of course) was quite a treat, indeed.

After Grammy, Peter and Ruth headed off to their church service, the four of us retired to the porch to open gifts. Mom, as usual, outdid herself with incredible presents. I think I did an OK job with the gifts I brought back, too, considering they accounted for nine tenths of the luggage I brought home. Rosie seemed smitten with her table runner, placemats and wooden nativity scene (I broke the clay one. Sorry Baby Jesus and company.). The gift, though, that took the cake this year was the Blackberry that now puts Rosie in constant contact with both of her daughters, husband, the internet and Facebook. She’s gotten really good at updating her status via Blackberry- she does more than Dana and I do combined.

As always, Mom threw in some humorous gifts, though nothing quite tops the pug purse from two years ago. When the gift opening was done, Dana, Mom and I got straight to work on the breakfast casseroles for brunch at Grammy’s the next morning while Dad continued to play on his new Blackberry. As usual, the three of us had some great laughs making a mess of the kitchen and making the same casseroles we’ve been having as far back as my memory goes. Tradition (In the bellowing style of Fiddler on the Roof).

My first full day at home was all that I hoped it would be and completed itself in the best way possible. With a full belly, completely content and with my family, Dana, Mom and I all changed into our matching Christmas pajamas (cheesy- maybe, adorable-yes), and said goodnight.

Christmas Day

Though I was definitely dreaming of a white Christmas, it didn’t come to fruition. Instead, Christmas morning was grey and not so chilly. But, as in years past, we all got ready, Dana and I dressed in our matching sweaters, and headed to Grammy’s. Sure, you may think it’s a bit ridiculous that two sisters, 27 and 22, still wear matching sweaters purchased by their mother on Christmas and, well, it is, but check out our photo. You have to admit, we’re pretty cute.

Brunch at Grammy’s went down without a hitch. Any morning that starts out with Bloody Marys (a little sacrilegious?) is bound to be a good one. By the time I arrived, Mom, Dad, Aunt Lynn and Uncle Randy had everything set up and ready to go. I had some good conversation with Uncle Alvin, Aunt Gerilyn, Aunt Laura, Tim, Kelly, Doug and Jenna before starting brunch. Being only my second day back at home, it became clear to me that eating was going to be the main activity of this trip. Everyone seemed to think I don’t eat in El Salvador, so gorging myself on the food that my family kept insisting I eat because I “won’t get this in El Salvador”.

Feeling like a Christmas Puff-a-lump, I plopped onto the living room floor to open gifts. This year, Doug had my name in the gift draw, and he gave me one of the most thoughtful gifts I have ever received. He donated a very generous gift in my honor to Aid El Salvador to help those affected by the landslides of November, those families that Peace Corps Volunteers have lived during countless training cycles. I couldn’t have been more appreciative. I got some pretty good Secret Santas, joke gifts given anonymously, as well including toilet paper. Good one, Secret Santa, too bad you couldn’t have given me a toilet.

After a lot of ripping and tearing and a full garbage bag full of gift-wrap later (I certainly hope we recycled that!) we finished up and cleaned up. The usual photos were taken, the food was Tupperwared away, and dishes were washed. The morning passed quicker than I could have imagined. A quick trip home and we were on to the next activity.

By 3PM we had made it over the river and through the woods to our next destination: dinner at the Hanitzs’. Not 30 seconds after removing layer upon layer of coats, scarves and boots (I’m not used to this weather!) Darcie had an infamous chrysanthemum, AKA poinsettia, in our hands and the fun began.

We opened gifts straight away, and as usual Aunt Debbie manages to find the cutest things! The “Cousins” picture frame she gave me is absolutely adorable. I can’t wait to have a real dwelling place where I can display one of the countless photos I have with Dar, Dev and D-Rock. The highlight of gift opening for me, though, was when Darcie opened her Salvo gift. Of course there was the obligatory shot glass for her collection, but the gift that took the cake was the Salvo lady apron that I got her. I wish I had taken a photo because the apron is absolutely hilarious, complete with multiple pockets and lace detailing. Darcie, being the Betty Crocker reincarnate that she is, loved it.

Soon after it was time to eat, AGAIN. And, as usual I continued to gorge myself on Polish sausage, pigs in a blanket (I don’t know how to spell the Polish word), pierogis, ham, just to name a few things. Sufficiently stuffed, we all cleaned up and started game time.

Game time with my family never fails to produce serious bouts of laughter, deep competition and a bit of friendly yelling. This year’s game was Buzz Word and based on the initial team drafts, I thought that my team would surely be defeated. I was on a team with my mother and aunt, and if you know them at all, they get easily distracted in conversation with each other and often don’t pain attention. Surely we would end up losing to the younger, more agile team of Dana, Devin and Darcie. On the contrary, however, Debbie and Rosie pulled through and we were victorious.

Game hour provided sufficient time for a bit of digestion to allow for the next round of food: coffee and desserts. Darcie, like I mentioned before, is an amazing baker and truly outdid herself making all my favorites, including Hello Dollies and her signature pistachio, cranberry, white chocolate shortbread cookies. As much as I am embarrassed to say this, I literally ate so much I had to unbutton my pants! My family practically had to roll me to the car. I don’t think this day could have been topped!

Some Other Highlights

  • On December 26, 2009, Dana M. Marohn made history by becoming the first female, and first Marohn in over a decade, to win the Cousins’ Bowling Classic. With a whopping 171, Dana defeated the repeat champion Josh Haacker. Be sure to view photos documenting this historic event on Facebook, including the passing of the Trophy complete with Dana gloating in triumph as Josh “Haacker pouts” while he begrudgingly handed over glory.
  • A relatively new tradition, the girls’ night dinner at Kyoto was as enjoyable as ever. I still manage to be the only one able to catch food in my mouth that the hibachi chef tosses. Keep up the good effort, ladies. Maybe next year.
  • We celebrated Grammy’s 91st birthday, grant it a little early, with all her children and three quarters of her grandchildren (we deeply missed you Jenna, Doug and Oscar). The meal really was a joint effort on behalf of Dan, Rose, Dana and myself. Naturally Rose orchestrated and decorated, Dan took care of the meat, and Dana and I shared the hors d'oeuvre and side dish load. Having the family together to celebrate Grammy was long overdue.
  • Brunch with the Koch’s on December 28th was delicious, as usual. Vi never ceases to amaze me with her youthful spirit, limitless energy, and spunk. You would never guess she’s 94 years old, especially with her weekly workout regimen and love of experimenting in the kitchen with new recipes. Vi still makes the absolute best cut out cookies, hands down. Karen’s stories still crack me up! Happy __th Birthday Karen! (I left out the number; I know how much you abhor it.) You definitely don’t look your age!
  • Pour House Sports Trivia…well, what can be said about that? The only answer I knew was about the Erie Canal, but regardless it was great to see David, Kevin and Claire and actually be allowed into a bar in DC. (I was 20 until the day before I left when I lived in DC, not so fun.)
  • Hanging in DC with Eric was great. Not much beats hanging out with one of my old roommates, drinking some red wine (that we didn’t spill on beige carpet for a change), listening to music, eating cashews and peanut butter fill pretzels while chatting.
  • Nothing beats hanging in DC and spending New Years with my college friends. Seeing Caitlin, Casey, Eric, Ben, Meghan and most of the Theta Chi boys was an awesome way to usher in the New Year. I absolutely loved walking the monuments and checking out Julie Child’s kitchen at the Smithsonian. Though I didn’t get quite enough one-on-one Cait time, it was so great to attempt to share Eric’s couch and ring in the New Year together.
  • New Years Day, after almost missing my flight back to Buffalo due to an abbreviated train schedule to BWI (honestly, who would have thought?), at the Hanitzs’ was as much fun as ever. Throw the Boninas and their new puppy, Mason, into the mix and you get a superfun time. I had great conversation with Aunt Trish and Uncle John, fun times with the John and Nick, and some great family game time with the whole crew. If you ever want to play Buzz Word with the women in my family, you can’t win. We are unbeatable. As usual, competition between teams spiked and the laughter was uncontrollable. My best ab workout in quite some time was a result of our family game time.
  • The last family event of my vacation was Peter and Ruth’s End of Holiday Event. Ruth was as gracious a hostess as ever, and Peter never failed behind the bar. Only one other person I know could possibly stump Peter’s expertise in mixology; the battle of whisky wits would surely be a sight to see.
  • Seeing my baby cousins who in six months have transformed into toddling, talking little people was amazing. Julianna, Sylvie and Oscar sure have grown a ton and have developed such adorable, truly individual personalities. I look forward to seeing them again (soon, hopefully) and seeing their development. Also, congratulations to Jenna and Doug on the news of their second pregnancy. I can’t wait to see Oscar’s little sibling come May.

Back in El Salvador

On Sunday I ventured back to El Salvador, a little sooner than I would have liked, but as my Dad always says, it’s better to leave wishing you could have stayed rather than to have stayed wishing you had left.

Now back in site I am finding myself readjusting to volunteer life. The days are a little slower, but enjoyable nonetheless. It was so much fun to give my gifts to my host family who were all extremely appreciative of the gesture from my family del norte. My host nephews Yefri and Rolvin were the most adorable, completely loving the playdoh I brought them, and the books that Aunt Debbie sent were certainly a hit as well.

I am starting to plan a few more programs including an efficient stove campaign with Stove Team International, check out their website at www.stoveteam.org. They make efficient stoves that use less firewood and produce less smoke, helping to reduce lung illnesses. I will also be translating for a team of American doctors that the NGO ASAPROSAR will be bringing in for an eyesight campaign January 30th-February 4th. As usual, too, I have a PC soccer game this coming Sunday in Juayua and will have a chance to meet up with all my PCV friends I haven’t seen in over a month.

For anyone who is interested, the Women and Youth in Development committee of Peace Corps El Salvador has made calendars featuring photography from volunteers for $10. If anyone is interested in purchasing one and supporting scholarships for girls to attend high school and college, please let me know.

I can’t begin to tell you how great it was to see so many of you over my visit back to the States. Know that I think of you often and love you all very much. We are all so truly fortunate in our lives, don’t ever forget that, and don’t forget to share your good fortune with others as well.

Please continue to send me emails, photos, updates and letters. I thrive off of contact with you.

Peace, Love, and Prosperity in 2010!

1 comment:

  1. Ros, Nice BLOG. But thank you for the wonderful Christmas we had because you were HOME with us. Love, MOM

    ReplyDelete