Thursday, August 27, 2009

My Site Assignment, and Other Exciting Things

Needless to say, today was the day my 32 training classmates and I have been waiting for (some of us a bit more anxiously than others): Site Assignment Day! After seven long, hard weeks of training we finally found out where we will be spending the next two years of our lives.

The process in which we learn of our sites is a dramatic, anticipation raising, well-orchestrated ordeal. At the Training Center, we were all ushered out of the main training room that has air conditioning (such a HUGE treat) and one wall covered with a map of El Salvador. The chairs were lined up in three rows in front of the map. When we were finally allowed to enter the room and sit down, everyone was chattering with speculations and nerves. To kick off the event, our bosses walked around the room and placed a piece of paper on our backs with the name of our sites' departments (sort of like states, more like counties in size). We then had to walk around and sort ourselves into departments by asking questions such as "Is my department in the west?" I quickly figured out that I will be in the department of Santa Ana. Last week during my final site interview, my boss, Rolando, told me my site was "west, way west," so I had narrowed my placement down between Santa Ana and Ahuachapan. After our departmental sorting we were instructed to sit back down in our seats. One of my training classmates was instructed to reach under his seat, remove the envelope that was taped below, and read the site assignment of another one of our group members. The person whose name was called would then go up to the big map and, with their boss, locate their site and place a star where they will be located. They then had their picture taken with their star on the map and returned to their seat to call the next person up. I was about the fifth person to be called up. Rolando helped me locate my site, shook my hand and told me, "We have high expectations of you." I was a bit taken aback by his comment, but definitely flattered and challenged at the same time. You all know me, I love a good challenge and thrive under pressure, so bring it on! I CAN'T WAIT to get started.

When I sat back down, I could barely focus on watching the other people place their stars as I was busy reading and re-reading my site information sheet. I learned that I will be living in a small caserio (the smallest classification of a community consisting of less than 50 families) outside of the canton (the second smallest size community) of La Magdelena. I will be working with the ADESCO, which means Asociacion de Desarrollo Comunitaria or Community Development Association, and a farming cooperative that has been in existence since the 1980s. The fact that the cooperative has been operational for so long is very promising and I think will make for an awesome experience. As far as living conditions go, I will have running water and electricity (wahoo!), a toilet isn't so probable, cell service is possible, and I will be living in my own home structure on a family compound. Sounds pretty great.

My friends and I got very lucky and the majority of us are placed (relatively) near one another on the west side of the country. Unfortunately a few of my good friends were placed in the east, but we will just have to meet up in the capital at The Sheraton where we get to use the pool and workout facility as a PC perk. And, El Salvador is about the size of Massachusetts (speaking of which, RIP Senator Kennedy) and no one is really very far away.

Beach Weekend
This past weekend was my training class's only opportunity to travel and sleep away from our host communities, so we took full advantage of the chance and went to Playa El Tunco in La Libertad. This particular beach boasts some of the most incredible, professional quality surf in the country. Needless to say, I did not hit up the waves as I figured they'd hit me harder, and the food options were far too good for me to direct my attention elsewhere. I definitely indulged all weekend from brick oven pizza to chicken burritos to bagels (for a country that loves carbs, it's a surprise that they don't make these in very many places) and smoothies, and beyond. We just had an awesome time getting to know one another and dancing up a storm. Dana and I made friends with a couple of PCVs from Morazan who were also at the beach this past weekend. Chatting with current PCVs really gives us trainees awesome information and perspective that our training sessions just don't. The weekend went far too quickly and it was back to reality in San Vicente before we knew it.

Youth Group Wrap-Up
As part of our training, we were required to work with and develop a project with youths in our community. As I shared before, our youth group elected to do a community clean-up and recycled art project. We held a successful garbage collection, filled over 17 bags worth of garbage, and sorted out the plastics, cans and other garbage. From the two liter plastic soda bottles the kids then made and decorated planters, or masetas, in which we planted seeds in this past Wednesday. The kids were so wonderful to work with and were so excited to be active in their community. The kids of Molineros have taught me that even if you think no one wants to work with you, if you think no one cares or is interested, that the kids are always there, always anxious to help and can always lift your spirits. I am really proud of all the hard work they did and hope that the seeds they planted grow into the fruit trees they want and deserve to have.

Well, that's the basic run-down of what I have been up down here in El Salvador. Please keep me updated with all that is going on back in the States. Send emails and photos, but for the time being please hold off on sending more mail until I figure out my permanent mailing address in Santa Ana. I really appreciate your cards and love, they brighten my days more than you know. I have to give a special thank you shout out to Dana and Caitlin who I received packages from this week. (I know, Mom, you wanted to send one, too, but I told you to hold off.) I now have protein and sour patch kids in my diet!

Te extrano mucho y te amo,
Rosellen

2 comments:

  1. I am so very proud of you. I can't wait to see you and your site.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's great to hear the latest update in detail. I know you can't wait to move on and get started! Looking forward to pictures from your swearing in ceremony.

    ReplyDelete