Monday, August 3, 2009

Nearly One Month In

It's hard to believe that I have been here in El Sal for nearly a month. The time is going by rather quickly, and Swearing In is a mere 31 days away.

This past weekend I spent in the department (sort of like a state) of Sonsonate visiting a current PCV. The whole weekend was a great learning experience and an awesome insight into what life will really be like as a volunteer. From baking bread with a women's group called Panaderia Yaneth (named after Janet, the PCV I was visiting), to organizinging and playing on a girls' soccer team, to facilitating a community clean up, to making organic fertilizer, to putting on an educational musical, PC life is exciting. Peace Corps service really will be what I choose to make of it, and that is absolutely awesome.

Janet's site is a twenty minute walk down a cobble stone road from the main road, but the walk is well worth it. The town consists of about 75 families and 300 people. It has it's own school that teaches students throuhg sixth grade. After sixth grade the students travel to a larger town about 15 minutes away (after the 20 minute walk up the road, of course). The view from the town is gorgeous on a clear day, complete with views of volcanoes.

All in all the weekend was a great time and I am looking forward even more to learning my site assignment and becoming part of a community here in El Sal.

Sorry to keep the post so short, and I apologize for the lack of photos. I promise the next posts will be better, more detailed and photos will be included. This Saturday I will be goin to a quincinera, which is a girl's 15th birthday party and are huge events in Latin America. It's sort of like a sweet sixteen, coming out party even and I will be sure to take lots of photos to share.

Missing you all, and thanks for the updates!

No comments:

Post a Comment